August Updates: Mike Swick Feature, Fight Network Return, Dyn Stuff
Hey y’all! A few updates on a rainy Sunday night here in the 603:
One of the true joys in my writing career is my role as a contributing freelance writer for FIGHT! Magazine, the industry’s top magazine for mixed martial arts (aka the UFC for you noobs). It looks slick, it’s well-respected and they pay me. Win win all around!
One of the unique things about writing for print media is that you lose the timing aspect you get in today’s internet world. This month’s feature on UFC middleweight Mike Swick is a great example of that. I have to submit my articles roughly 5-8 weeks before they see the light of ink and page day.
A lot can happen in anyone’s life in a month’s time so part of the game is hoping that nothing too crazy changes between the time of submission to the time of print.
Mike was set to fight at this Saturday’s UFC event in Brazil, 18 months after he last competed due to multiple injuries and a bizarre confluence of stomach issues that essentially made his body work against him.
As bad luck would have it, Mike hurt his knee and is undergoing surgery that took him out of the fight.
Of course, the August issue of FIGHT! hit stands with an awesome three-page layout with part of the focus on this comeback fight. I’m still proud of the feature and believe in it fully, but it kinda stings that the focus of the article had to pull out. Welcome to the print journalism world, folks.
In any case, pick up the issue which also features a great cover story by Chuck Mindenhall on Gray Maynard. Seriously, it’s awesome.
Josh and John Pollock…reunited.
I’ll always feel kinship to my friends at the Fight Network in Toronto, Canada — the same group where I had some of my first major radio interviews back in the day. One of the people I used to chat with is John Pollock, who is a fixture on the network and hosts a series of podcasts about combat sports.
It’s been quite a while since I was on the show (March!) so I was glad to get a text from John Thursday night asking if I could come on the show and talk the UFC deal with Fox. We talked for nearly 30 minutes and I actually got a great column idea out of the interview. I love when that happens!
Here’s the interview. Skip ahead to 70 minutes in to hear myself and John unless you want to listen to a review of TNA Impact.
- In my real world job, I’m really liking my role as “editor in chief” of Dyn.com. We recently relaunched our entire site and rewrote/restructured all of the content, which was quite an exercise. To some, relaunching a site isn’t a big deal but when you consider we were combining major traffic from a sister site into this one, it was a pretty big freakin’ deal. Our email program is next up for review and some Nason-izing.
- I continue to drop in every few weeks on BloodyElbow.com with a guest editorial or quick-hit news bit. I actually kinda like the guest writer role as I stay free of commitments but still have a presence on one of the most heavily-trafficked MMA sites on the interwebs. Here’s my latest for BE on my ideal UFC debut on Fox.
- I wrote an homage to Maura Tierney amidst a lot of bitching about Rescue Me.
- I still need to do something up on Grantland. The fact I don’t go there as much as expected is telling.
- Finally, the WGAM MMA Show keeps plugging along. I feel like we’re putting out a great product but we need more people to listen. (Duh statement, right?) It’s a crowded market for MMA podcasts and shows, but we’re really close to a breakthrough. We have UFC fighters on nearly every week and have talked to some big names. Still, we’re at 12 likes on Facebook as of this writing which drives me slightly crazy. Damn social media.